Appealing a Child Custody Decision

In order to file an appeal with the Montana Supreme Court, you have to have a final judgment or order from District Court.  You cannot appeal an interim parenting plan.  Instead, you will have to wait until you get your final parenting plan before your attorney can initiate an appeal.  

The Montana Supreme Court will require you to go to mediation.  If the parties cannot agree on an appellate mediator within 15 days of filing the Notice of Appeal, the Montana Supreme Court will assign one for you.  Your appellate mediation has to be completed within 75 days of the filing of the Notice of Appeal.  If you settle the case, the appeal is dismissed.  If not, you proceed like any other appeal.

If you want to appeal your child custody decision, contact a Matrium Law Group attorney to discuss your case.  You can reach us by telephone at (406) 552-7814.    

Matrium Law Group is committed to providing excellent, practical, and affordable legal counsel to our clients.  We are located in Missoula, Montana and we help individuals, families, and businesses throughout Montana.  For more information about Matrium Law Group, visit our website at