Can a grandparent file a petition for a parenting plan?

What happens if your grandchild's parents are absent, and you, the grandmother or grandfather, have been raising your grandchild?  If this is the case, you may be worried that the mom or dad might show up and demand the child back, and that you will be required to comply even if you think it will disrupt your grandchild's life.  

If you live in Montana and you want to discuss your legal options, you should contact a Matrium Law Group attorney at (406) 552-7814 right away.   We may be able to help you file a petition for a parenting plan, if we can show that you have established a "child-parent" relationship with your grandchild.  Generally speaking, we will need to show that you:

  • provide for the physical needs of your grandchild by supplying food, shelter, and clothing and provides or provided the grandchild with necessary care, education, and discipline;
  • provide, on a day-to-day basis, for your grandchild’s psychological and physical needs; and
  • provide permanency or stability in residence, schooling, and activities outside the home.