If you live in Montana and you become mentally incapacitated due to an accident (coma) or simply due to aging (dementia, Alzheimer's), you could end up with a court-appointed, court-supervised conservator.   

Conservators have court-ordered authority and responsibility to manage the financial affairs of those who can no longer make their own decisions about finances.  If the incapacitated person planned ahead and signed durable powers of attorney for finances, that person won't need a conservator because the person named in those documents can take charge.  Matrium Law Group is a law firm that specializes in estate planning.  To speak with a Matrium Law Group attorney about preparing a durable power of attorney, call (406) 552-7814 or fill out this form

If no estate planning has been done, then family members must ask the court to appoint a conservator or guardian.  If you find yourself in this situation, contact Matrium Law Group at (406) 552-7814 right away to discuss how to proceed.